TUPE: guide to 2006 regulations
- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- Part of:
- Labour market reform
- 22 November 2012
- Last updated:
- 15 January 2014, see all updates
- Applies to:
- England, Scotland, and Wales
Guidance on the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006 - for employers, employees and representatives.
Ref: BIS/09/1013 PDF, 127KB, 35 pages
Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations (TUPE) provide rights to employees when their employment changes when a business is transferred to a new owner.
The January 2014 guide covers the TUPE Regulations as amended by the Collective Redundancies and Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) (Amendment) Regulations 2014.
These amendments apply to:
- England, Scotland and Wales but not Northern Ireland
- transfers that take place on or after 31 January 2014
For transfers that take place on or before 30 January 2014
The January 2014 guidance will be relevant for most transfers that take place on or before 30 January 2014. In a few circumstances the July 2009 (BIS/09/1013) guidance will be helpful, however, it hasn’t been updated in light of more recent case law.
Published: 22 November 2012
Updated: 15 January 2014
- New guide to the amended 2006 TUPE Regulations added, for business transfers that take place from 31 January 2014 onwards.
- First published.