Timeline of changes to GCSEs, AS and A levels
An overview of what changes will be made to GCSE, AS and A level qualifications between 2015 and 2020.
These documents show:
- what changes to qualifications will be happening for each year group
- changes to GCSE subjects by academic year
- changes to AS and A level subjects by academic year
Published: 24 November 2014
Updated: 30 March 2017
- Updated with qualifications being reformed for first teaching from September 2018
- Updated information about resits for legacy GCSEs, AS and A levels
- Updated to reflect school years from September 2016.
- Updated to reflect latest decisions on subjects to be reformed for first teaching in September 2017
- Subjects changed following DfE consultation
- Updated to reflect school years from 2015
- Updated to reflect recent changes.
- Removed PDF timelines as they are out of date.
- Updated attached files with latest information.
- Updates to subject titles
- Removed 'design and technology' from the list of GCSEs (9 to 1) to be first taught in 2016.
- A level design and technology has been moved to its correct position.
- New timelines attached - one showing changes to GCSE subjects by academic year and the other showing changes to AS and A level subjects by academic year.
- Attachment was updated to correct a couple of mistakes in headings saying 'September' rather than 'Summer' and to also reflect that new AS and A levels in maths and further maths have been put back by a year.
- First published.