The research evidence on 'writing'
This document looks at research evidence on writing, effective teaching and the gender gap.
Writing is the subject where pupils perform less well compared with reading, maths and science. In addition, there is a gender gap in pupils’ performance in writing with girls outperforming boys.
This document looks at research evidence on writing, including domestic and international sources in pupils’ achievement, effective teaching and gender gap.
- key findings
- a summary of pupils’ achievement in writing
- what are the predictors of pupils’ attainment and progress in writing
- teaching of writing
- approaches for pupils with SEND
- what are the reasons for the gender gap in writing?
- strategies for helping boys with writing