Data is the fuel of the digital economy. Technological change has radically increased both the volume of data in the economy, and our ability to process it. This presents an opportunity to transform our economy and society for the better.
This discussion paper provides an assessment of the economic value of data, and sets out five challenges to getting the most out of it for the UK economy:
- Addressing ownership and control of data
- Maintaining protection of personal data
- Openness in public sector data
- Driving interoperability and standards
- Enabling safe, legal data sharing