This document is for people with responsibility for suicide prevention in local authorities and their partner agencies.
The document includes:
- the meaning of the term ‘suicide clusters’
- identification of suicide clusters
- suggestions for who may be at risk of suicidal acts due to the influence of other people’s suicidal behaviour,
- the mechanisms involved in suicide clusters
- the effects of suicide on other individuals
The steps required at local level to prepare for a suicide cluster are described alongside suggested responses to possible suicide clusters.
Finally, best practice is provided on how to evaluate responses to a cluster, and on using the experience to improve further suicide prevention measures.