Standards for school food in England
Guidance on the standards for planning and providing food in schools.
This is for governing bodies of:
- all local-authority-maintained schools
- pupil referral units (these provide education for children who can’t go to a mainstream school)
- academies that opened before 2010
- academies and free schools with agreed funding from June 2014
- non-maintained special schools (a school for children with special educational needs that the Secretary of State for Education has approved under section 342 of the Education Act 1996)
It includes information on:
- planning and provision of school food
- the school food plan
- the provision of milk
- the free fruit and vegetables scheme
Published: 8 January 2015
Updated: 9 September 2016
- Updated information on where the School Food Standards are mandatory for some academies and free schools.
- Added the 2016 version of the document.
- First published.