DfE staff numbers in IT, areas of IT that are outsourced, and types and amount of equipment used.
- Date requested: 28 June 2013
- Date responded: 16 July 2013
- If DfE’s IT is not totally outsourced then how many individual staff (headcount) are employed within it?
- To which company or companies are the following areas of IT outsourced?
- desktops/laptops/thin clients
- systems development/applications management
- How many desktops are in use?
- How many laptops are in use?
- How many thin clients are in use?
- Which server platform(s) and operating system(s) are in use?
- How many physical servers are in use?
- How many virtual servers are in use?
- What is the name and job title of the most senior person in IT?
Answers to questions 3 to 9 are required, even if DfE’s IT is outsourced.
- The current number of staff working in chief information officer group is 196. The chief information officer group’s (CIOG) responsibility also extends beyond internal IT services to include many of DfE’s ‘frontline’ systems and services.
- We have outsourced some elements of our infrastructure to Eduserv but most of it is internally managed. Desktops, laptops and thin clients are internally managed. Systems development and applications management work is currently outsourced to Capgemini, Texunatech, SCC, IRAS and BT but some functions are still performed in house. We are moving towards a simpler model where hosting, systems development and support will be treated as separate work activities and competed for every 2 years.
- Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012.
- Simon Judge, Director of Finance and Commercial Group.
Published: 15 August 2014
From: Department for Education