Special educational needs (SEN): guide for service families

Find out how children with special educational needs are supported in SCE school, including information and forms for registering your child.

This publication was withdrawn on

For the statutory guidance on the special educational needs and disability (SEND) system, please read the SEND code of practice: 0 to 25 years.



This content is no longer current and was archived on 26 May 2016.

Children with a wide range of special educational needs (SEN) are supported in SCE Schools. It is impossible, however, to make provision for the complete range of SEN.

When a family wish to pursue a posting overseas, the SEN of their child should be declared at or before the time when a posting is offered. This process is known as a SEN enquiry, please see the attachments below for further information regarding the process.

The ‘MOD assessment of supportability overseas’ (MASO) will replace the SEN enquiry process effective 1 November 2014. Along with the name change there will be some process changes involving a changed role for schools.

Additionally the SEN Code of Practice (2014) will be implemented in England. The SEN categories ‘school action’ and ‘school action +’ will disappear to be replaced by the category ‘SEN support’.

In the MASO process Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS) or the receiving school will be the first point of contact for parents when their posting overseas is known.

Published 6 August 2014