A resource to help DFID and external staff to design and monitor transport interventions.
This document summarises the evidence around the following topics:
- the impact of transport on social welfare (poverty, access to services and markets)
- distributional impacts of transport (particularly among women and girls, low-income groups, children and young people, people with disabilities and the elderly)
- social risks associated with transport programmes (HIV/AIDS transmission, road safety, resettlement)
- the role of public works programmes in the transport sector
- social development checklist
This resource is designed to help DFID and external staff to design and monitor transport interventions. Transport researchers and programmers can draw from the body of evidence presented in this report, filter as appropriate and pursue more detailed research in relevant areas to fit the context.
The resources matrix summarises briefly each piece of evidence included in the report. The data is categorised by theme and links are provided for all papers.