Short breaks for carers of disabled children

Outlines the duties of local authorities under the Children Act 1989 and the Breaks for Carers of Disabled Children Regulations 2011.



The Short Breaks Regulations provide further detail on how local authorities must perform their duty in the Children Act 1989 to provide breaks from caring for carers of disabled children to help them continue to care for their children at home and allow them to do so more effectively.

Local authorities may find it helpful to consider this advice document within the context of the green paper proposals.

This first section of the advice is intended to give an overview of the legal position in relation to the regulations and then provide examples of good practice which have been developed over the period 2008 to 2011.