Set up a political fund for a trade union or employers' association
Procedure to be followed by a trade union or employers' association to establish a political fund to spend money for political purposes.
Political funds: guidance for trade unions and employers’ associations wishing to establish a political fund
PDF, 131KB, 42 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The guide deals with the procedure to be followed by a trade union or an employers’ association wishing to establish a political fund.
It contains sections that deal with:
- the statutory provisions
- political funds in Northern Ireland
- the procedure for establishing a political fund
- preparation by the trade union of draft ballot rules
- submission of ballot rules for formal approval by the Certification Officer
- holding the ballot
- complaints about ballots
- sending of notice to members about exemption from contributing to the political fund
- the political objects
It also contains:
- a model resolution for adoption of political fund ballot rules
- model rules for a political fund
- model rules for a ballot to establish a political fund (where the scrutineer also acts as the independent person)
- model rules for a ballot to establish a political fund (where roles of the scrutineer and the independent person are to be carried out by different persons)
Published: 1 September 2012
From: Certification Officer