SEND: guide for schools and alternative provision settings
A guide for schools on the support system for children and young people with special educational needs and disability.
Applies to England
This guide is for:
- school governing bodies, including those in special schools not maintained by the local authority
- academy proprietors, including free schools, university technical colleges and studio schools
- pupil referral unit management committees
- independent schools, including independent specialist providers
It is also of interest to:
- school leadership teams
- school teachers
- special educational needs co-ordinators (SENCOs)
The guide explains the duties and responsibilities of schools and alternative provision settings who deal with children and young people with special educational needs and disability (SEND) and their families.
This guide should be read alongside the ‘Special education needs and disability code of practice: 0 to 25’.
A guide for further education providers is also available.