Statutory guidance sets out the responsibilities to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people.
This statutory guidance is for:
- local authorities
- governing bodies
- organisations responsible for safeguarding children
It applies to:
- mainstream schools
- academies and free schools
- pupil referral units
- non-maintained special schools
- independent schools
- sixth-form colleges
- further education colleges
- staff recruitment, selection and management
It also provides recruitment best practice guidance for supply agencies providing staff to the education sector, and for contractors working in the education sector.
This guidance is currently under review and will be consolidated with the related guidance below in spring 2014 following the ‘Keeping children safe in education consultation’.