This report is a short and accessible summary of 10 strands of research and analysis. It investigates the perceptions and attitudes of commercial and individual road users towards roads in England.
The research was conducted between February 2013 and September 2014, and aimed to understand more about:
- awareness and understanding of the strategic road network (SRN)
- how the SRN is used and by whom
- user expectations of and needs from the SRN
- attitudes towards investment in the SRN
- priorities for investment in the SRN
- drivers of road user satisfaction
- attitudes towards and needs during congestion
- the link between the SRN and economic growth
- road users communication needs and preferences
This research has informed government’s thinking around roads reform, the content of the ‘Action for roads’ command paper and development of the ‘Road investment strategy’.