Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
Research and analysis
Research and development network: great pedagogy and professional development report
Report for the teaching schools' research on themes 1 and 2, great pedagogy and great professional development.
This report is part of school-based enquiry completed by teaching schools during 2012 to 2014. It looks specifically at the following themes:
- Theme 1: what makes great pedagogy?
- Theme 2: what makes great professional development which leads to consistently great pedagogy?
Schools investigating these 2 themes looked at a number of topics, including:
- lesson study
Schools exploring theme 1 identified important messages including:
- talk with pupils about their learning
- listen carefully and involve them
- be open to new learning
- don’t give up
Schools exploring theme 2 identified important messages including:
- think about the pupils’ needs and the impact you want to have
- help colleagues to think seriously and differently about their practice
- ensure access to knowledge and skills from inside and outside
Case studies from each theme give more detail on specific research projects.
There is also a report looking at the process of working with others on a school-based enquiry. It looks in-depth at what has been learned about how teaching schools undertake school-led research and development. It uses the perspectives of teacher participants and senior leaders from within 5 alliances, as well as the internal facilitators responsible for leading the project within their alliance.
Other reports and case studies published as part of this research can be found in the Research and development network: school-based research collection.