Report of wreck and salvage form (MSF 6200)

Complete this form to let the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) know when you have recovered any wreck material.


MSF 6200 report of wreck and salvage

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


If you recover any wreck material, you will need to complete this form.

Print and sign it then send it to the Receiver of Wreck at the MCA within 28 days of the recovery.

Please read the separate guidance before completing the form.

Personal Information Charter

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) collect and retain personal information when you report wreck material. We do this for the purposes of administering the Merchant Shipping Act 1995, to process claims to wreck and salvage from wreck owners and salvors. The information that you provide is primarily used for administering claims to wreck and salvage but may also be used for the purpose of prevention and detection of crime and the investigation and prosecution of offences.

To find out more about how the MCA look after personal data, your rights and how to contact our data protection officer please go to the MCA Personal Information Charter page.

Published 17 April 2014
Last updated 22 June 2018 + show all updates
  1. We have added information and a link to our Personal Information Charter to this page.
  2. First published.
  1. Step 1 Check if the item you've found is treasure or wreck

    You need to check if what you've found counts as treasure or wreck material.

    1. Check if your find is treasure
    2. Check if your find is wreck material
  2. Step 2 Report treasure to the local coroner

    You must report treasure to the local coroner within 14 days of finding it.

    1. Find your local coroner
    2. Find out what happens after you report treasure

    The Portable Antiquities Scheme can help you report treasure and archaeological finds.

    1. Contact a Finds Liaison Officer at the Portable Antiquities Scheme
  3. or Report wreck material to the Receiver of Wreck

    You must report wreck material to the Receiver of Wreck within 28 days of finding it.

    1. You are currently viewing: Report wreck material