Repaying compensation to DWP: what to do if you think our decision is wrong

What to do if you disagree with the amount of compensation recovered under the compensation recovery scheme after the claim is settled.


Mandatory reconsideration and appeal guide for recovery of benefits and lump sum payments (PDF version)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


The mandatory reconsideration and appeal guide for recovery of benefits and lump sum payments (Z2) is intended for use by professional and voluntary advisers, and by members of the public.

Social security benefits, lump sum payments and compensation payments may be paid because of the same accident, injury or disease. If this happens, the person or organisation that pays the compensation (the compensator) has to pay back the benefits and lump sum payment to the DWP.

The Compensation Recovery Unit (CRU) issue a certificate that shows the compensator how much they have to pay to the DWP. A copy of the certificate is also sent to the injured person or their representative.

This guidance tells you what to do if you think the certificate is wrong after the compensation claim is settled and you have paid the CRU all of the monies due. It gives more information about:

  • mandatory reconsideration
  • who can appeal
  • how to appeal
  • what happens after an appeal is made
  • appeals tribunals
  • Upper Tribunals
Published 30 October 2013