Rectification and indemnity (PG39)
Correction of certain types of mistake in the register (rectification) and the payment of compensation (indemnity) (practice guide 39).
Aimed at conveyancers, this guide includes information on making an application for rectification and indemnity (including reimbursement of costs and other expenses), on points to consider in cases of fraud and on other circumstances when indemnity may be payable.
We only provide factual information and impartial advice about our procedures. Read more about the advice we give.
Published: 13 October 2003
Updated: 15 May 2017
- Section 5 has been amended to clarify the address to which legal proceedings should be served on the Chief Land Registrar.
- Section 8.2 has been amended to cross refer to sections 2 and 3 of practice guide 38: costs in relation to the registrar’s power to give consent to incur costs.
- Changed the address for serving court orders on Land Registry.
- Section 11 has been amended as a result of changes to the Chief Land Registrar’s delegated authority to make maladministration payments.
- Sections 1.1 and 2.1 have been amended for clarification, and to avoid misunderstanding in this sensitive and complex area. Section 5 has been amended to include an address for service of proceedings on Land Registry to ensure that any proceedings come to the attention of Land Registry Head Office as soon as possible.
- Section 11 has been amended to confirm that discretionary payments for maladministration have to be approved by HM Treasury.
- Link to the advice we offer added.
- First published.