This prison service instruction (PSI) and probation instruction (PI) contains the public protection manual. It is a guide for prison and probation staff on assessing and managing ongoing risks, imposing additional restrictive measures and sharing information with other agencies.
It includes guidance on:
- multi-agency public protection arrangements (MAPPA) for the management of violent and sex offenders
- use of the violent and sex offender register (ViSOR)
- the role of the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children
- restricting the possession of certain materials
- arrangements for prisoners managed under harassment procedures, sex offender registration or with terrorist notification requirements
This is a current PSI and PI. It came into effect on 11 January 2017.