Declare a public service vehicle (PSV) doesn't need a speed limiter

You must declare if a public service vehicle (PSV) is exempt from needing a speed limiter when you take it for its annual test (MOT).


PSV speed limiter exemption declaration form

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


This form is used at an annual test if a PSV appears to require a speed limiter but the presenter wishes to declare it exempt.

PSV speed limiter exemptions can be granted if the vehicle:

  • has been modified so as not to be capable of relevant speed
  • is incapable of relevant speed by its original design
  • is exempt by emissions approval
  • has a particular use
Published 19 July 2013
Last updated 22 November 2016 + show all updates
  1. Update made to PSV speed limiter exemption declaration form.
  2. First published.
  1. Step 1 Check when your test is due and get reminders

  2. Step 2 Book the test

    1. Find your nearest test centre and book your test

    The cost will vary depending on where you take the test.

    1. Check the fees for heavy goods vehicles or trailers
    2. Check the fees for public service vehicles

    Fill in an application form before you book your test if it's the first time it's been tested and it's either:

  3. Step 3 Prepare your vehicle

  4. and Prepare the documents you need

  5. Step 4 Take your vehicle to the test

    1. Find out what happens at the test centre

    At the end of the test, you'll be told if your vehicle has passed or failed.