Information for schools about the Progress 8 and Attainment 8 school performance measures.
The Progress 8 measure is a secondary school accountability system. It aims to encourage schools to teach a broad curriculum and reward schools that teach all pupils well. It measures pupils’ progress across 8 subjects from age 11 to 16.
This page includes:
- guidance on how we calculate the Progress 8 and Attainment 8 school performance measures
- terms and conditions for schools that opted into Progress 8 from 2015
- Progress 8 and Attainment 8 key figures in 2016 (relating to the cohort of pupils who finished key stage 4 in 2016)
- pupil ready reckoner (use this to calculate a Progress 8 score for an individual pupil)
- school ready reckoner (use this to see how we’ve calculated your school’s Progress 8 score from individual pupils’ Progress 8 scores)
This information is for:
- school leaders
- governing bodies
It applies to:
- local-authority-maintained schools
- free schools
A short video explaining Progress 8 is also available: