The council conducted an extensive evidence review that considered:
- the current prevalence of pleural plaques
- the occupational causation of pleural plaques currently found in the population
- the likelihood of disability arising from pleural plaques
- the likelihood of other more severe complications of asbestos exposure arising amongst those currently having plaques
- whether compensation through the Industrial Injuries Scheme would be appropriate for people diagnosed with this condition
Following the review, the council recognised that pleural plaques can be a source of distress and anxiety to those diagnosed with the condition. However, it didn’t recommend adding this condition to the list of prescribed diseases for which people can claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit in relation to either physical or psychological disability.