Participation of young people: education, employment and training
Statutory guidance for local authorities on their duties relating to the participation of young people in education, employment or training.
This statutory guidance is for:
- local authority (LA) staff involved in the commissioning and delivery of education and training provision for young people (16- and 17-year-olds)
- LA staff responsible for promoting participation of young people, and tracking and supporting young people’s activity
LAs must follow this guidance when:
- carrying out duties relating to raising the participation age and promoting participation of vulnerable young people not in education, employment or training (NEET)
- securing sufficient suitable education provision
Statutory guidance sets out what local authorities must do to comply with the law. You should follow the guidance unless you have a very good reason not to.
Published: 20 March 2013
Updated: 20 October 2016
- Updated statutory guidance to reflect legislative changes and the relaxation of the requirement for local authorities to track 18-year-olds.
- Added information about guidance review in 2015.
- Updated information for 16- to 18-year-olds in the 'Participation of young people in education, employment or training' document.
- First published.