Onshore oil and gas exploration and extraction: environmental permits

The environmental permits and permissions you need for onshore oil and gas operations in England.


Onshore oil and gas sector guidance

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Oil and gas companies, their service companies and consultants should use this guidance to understand:

  • the environmental permits you need for onshore oil and gas operations in England
  • other permissions you may need from the Environment Agency
  • information about best available techniques you must use

You need a mining waste permit to manage the extractive waste from decommissioning onshore oil and gas wells unless you meet the conditions of this regulatory position statement.

Published 17 August 2016
Last updated 14 November 2016 + show all updates
  1. Link added to the new RPS for decommissioning onshore oil and gas wells drilled before 1 October 2013.
  2. First published.