Summary of responses from the consultation in the document below and also an impact assessment on the Police Procurement Regulations 2011.
This consultation is now closed.
Please see the summary of responses from the consultation in the document below and also an impact assessment on the Police Procurement Regulations 2011.
The police service in England and Wales spends about £3.3bn each year on goods and services, of which £2.8bn is spent by police authorities through contracts let nationally, regionally or locally. Goods and services for policing are bought in up to 43 different ways across the country.
A more joined up approach will save the police money on buying equipment and services and sharing IT. This consultation is about the first step towards that more joined up approach. The consultation asks for your views on the impact of this approach to rationalising police procurement and on the detail of proposed regulations.
The consultation period is eight weeks.
Policing in the 21st century
Alongside this consultation, we are also running a wider consultation - Policing in the 21st century: re-connecting the police and the people. Chapter four explains that to make savings as soon as possible, the government will propose regulations to make the police buy some equipment and services through particular contracts and will publish a more detailed consultation on the proposed regulations.
This document is the more detailed consultation on proposed regulations.
- Obtaining better value for money from police procurement (PDF file - 199kb)
- Obtaining better value for money from police procurement - summary of consultation: responses and next steps (PDF file - 196kb)
- The Police Act 1996 (equipment) regulations 2011 and the Police Act 1996 (services) regulations 2011: impact assessment (PDF file - 482kb)
- Intended audience: The police service, businesses supplying goods and services to the police, staff associations and trades unions representing officers and staff
- Reference number: Obtaining better value for money from police procurement
- Issued: 26 Jul 2010
- Opening date: 26 Jul 2010
- Closing date: 20 Sep 2010
How to respond
Please send your response to…
Police productivity unit, Home Office
6th floor Fry building NW, 2 Marsham Street
Tel: 020 7035 1895