© Crown copyright 2020
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: email@example.com.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-to-exporters-202003-exporting-and-trading-items-subject-to-strategic-controls-during-the-transition-period/notice-to-exporters-202003-exporting-and-trading-items-subject-to-strategic-controls-during-the-transition-period
The UK leaves the EU on 31 January 2020. Current export licensing arrangements will continue to apply until the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020.
Strategic items are regulated through a system of export and trade controls. The following items are subject to strategic control:
- military items
- dual-use items (items with both civil and military uses)
- items that can be used for torture or capital punishment
- radioactive sources
- other items controlled under international sanctions
The Export Control Joint Unit (ECJU) is responsible for the control and licensing of the trade of these items.
The current export licensing arrangements will continue to apply during the transition period. This includes the arrangements for exporting all strategic items.
The open general export licence (export of dual-use items to EU member states) is not required to export dual-use items to the EU during the transition period.
For more information on the current regulations and requirements, see:
- export controls: military goods, software and technology
- export controls: dual-use items, software and technology, goods for torture and radioactive sources
- firearms and export control forms
- export controls: torture goods
- current trade sanctions, including arms embargoes and other restrictions
- UK sanctions guidance for information on other types of sanctions
Export Control Joint Unit
3 Whitehall Place
Telephone 020 7215 4594
Contact for general queries about strategic export licensing.
This notice is for information only and has no force in law. If the information here applies to your business, we recommend you take appropriate action, including seeking legal advice if necessary.
Notices to exporters
All notices published since July 2016 can be found on the Notices to Exporters collection page.
You can find:
- Notices to Exporters from September 2012 to July 2016 at the National Archives
- Notices to Exporters prior to September 2012 at the National Archives
Sign up to receive email alerts for notices to exporters.