Annual update of the 'Northern transport strategy' which lists our goals and progress towards improving transport in the north.
PDF, 17.8MB, 33 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Annual update of the ‘Northern transport strategy’. The strategy states our progress and next steps in improving transport in the areas of:
- smart ticketing
- local and international connectivity
across the whole of the north.
New developments are:
- investing over £1 billion to upgrade rail infrastructure, including the electrification programme, track, station and signalling improvements
- progress on the Northern Powerhouse rail
- committing £2.9 billion of road improvements for the 5 year period to 2020 including:
- improving access to the Port of Immingham
- improving the A1 Western Bypass
- upgrading key sections of the M60, M1 and M6 to smart motorways
- 3 studies looking at dramatically improving east-west road connections
- that smart ticketing, subject to approval, will be rolled out step by step across the north over a 9 year period
This update has been completed in partnership with Transport for the North.