Annual update of the ‘Northern transport strategy’. The strategy states our progress and next steps in improving transport in the areas of:
- smart ticketing
- local and international connectivity
across the whole of the north.
New developments are:
- investing over £1 billion to upgrade rail infrastructure, including the electrification programme, track, station and signalling improvements
- progress on the Northern Powerhouse rail
- committing £2.9 billion of road improvements for the 5 year period to 2020 including:
- improving access to the Port of Immingham
- improving the A1 Western Bypass
- upgrading key sections of the M60, M1 and M6 to smart motorways
- 3 studies looking at dramatically improving east-west road connections
- that smart ticketing, subject to approval, will be rolled out step by step across the north over a 9 year period
This update has been completed in partnership with Transport for the North.
The ‘Northern transport strategy’ was released on 20 March 2015 and updated in autumn 2015.