This document outlines the projects granted under the Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986 during 2014 with a primary purpose of translational and applied research: human endocrine or metabolism disorders.
The following projects were granted:
- treatment of metabolic disorders (obesity, diabetes, nephropathy, neuropathy, retinopathy)
- optimising islet transplantation in type I diabetes (diabetes, islets, beta cells)
- biomarkers of drug dependence and behavioural endophenotypes (addiction, neurobiology, neuroimaging, vulnerability)
- molecular mechanisms of CFTR channel gating (CFTR, ion channel, protein conformation)
- the role of the microbiome in nutrition and metabolic diseases (bacteria, nutrients, obesity, diabetes, liver)