Personal tax – form

National Insurance: working in 2 or more countries in the European Economic Area (CA8421i)

Use the online form to find out which country's social security legislation applies to you.



If you normally work in 2 or more countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) you can:

  • use the online service (sign in to or set up a Government gateway account)
  • fill in form on-screen, print and post it to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

This allows HMRC to determine which country’s social security legislation will apply.

If you use the online form, you’ll get a reference number that you can use to track the progress of your form.

Before you start using the postal form

If you’re using an older browser, eg Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

You’ll need to fill in the postal form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so you should gather all your information together before you start to fill it in.

National insurance: application for a certificate of continuing liability when employees are going to work abroad (CA3822)
Use form CA3822 if you are sending employees to work in EEA country and keep them under the UK National Insurance scheme.