This Memorandum of Understanding sets out how the Charity Commission and the Office for Students will work together and communicate effectively, both in their respective regulatory operations and in formatting the regulatory framework within which they work.
Both are fully committed to the aims of the Memorandum which are to assist in their respective functions in the following ways to:
- promote a common understanding of each other’s responsibilities, working procedures, legal powers and constraints
- promote co-operation between staff at a strategic and operational level
- facilitate effective investigation with the objective of prevention, detection and the remedy of misconduct or mismanagement in the administration of charities and charitable funds
- ensure the effective closure of information in compliance with all relevant legislation
- ensure appropriate consultation on matters of relevant and significant policy initiatives to ensure that charities comply fully with their legal obligations and adopt best practice in governance and accountability