The study reviewed if events had altered in accordance with the regulatory goals, specifically if:
- there had been changes in third-party insurance premiums
- there was an increase of ship-owners seeking third-party insurance
- there was fresh evidence to quantify or qualify changes to premiums
- the legislation had been a benefit or hindrance to the UK shipping industry
- there was a change in the number of maritime incidents involving third-parties and insured vessels at 300 gross tonnes
The merchant shipping regulations were implemented in October 2014.