Mental health and behaviour in schools
How to identify and support pupils whose behaviour suggests they may have unmet mental health needs.
This guidance is for school staff and applies to all schools.
It gives advice on:
- how and when to refer to the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
- supporting children with emotional and behavioural difficulties
- strengthening pupil resilience
- how to identify pupils likely to need extra support
- where and how to access community support
See also guidance for school leaders and staff on behaviour and discipline in schools.
Published: 16 June 2014
Updated: 18 March 2016
- Reviewed source documents and updated references and website links.
- Advice reviewed to ensure web links and references are up-to-date. It also includes information on new policies such as the SEND code of practice and advice on school counselling.
- First published.