© Crown copyright 2013
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: email@example.com.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/management-of-an-ageing-workforce/management-of-an-ageing-workforce
The DWP’s Age Positive initiative brings together research and information from employers on effectively managing an ageing workforce of all generations. Download and use this information freely in communications and in connection with supporting employers.
Employing older workers: an employer’s guide to today’s multi-generational workforce provides answers to employer questions and issues concerning recruitment, performance, succession management, retention and transfer of skills, bringing on younger workers, and retirement. It offers good practice solutions tried and tested by employers of various sectors and sizes.
Employer case studies: employing older workers for an effective multi-generational workforce has over 30 real life examples, showing how employers of various sectors and sizes have made the best of the opportunities, and effectively managed the issues presented by an ageing workforce. They offer practical examples and transferable experience.
ACAS provides free advice for employers on employment legislation including advice on age and the workplace.
1. Age Positive logo
Any organisation that supports and practices the points covered by the ‘Employing older workers’ guide can freely display the Age Positive logo. Download the logo in English or Welsh.
2. Research on age and employment
The following publications provide background research on age and employment.
- Extended Working Life Tracker (chapter 2 in ‘Employers’ awareness, understanding and activity relating to workplace pension reforms’), The Pensions Regulator 2012
- Managing a Healthy Ageing Workforce: a national business imperative, CIPD 2012
- An update of the literature on age and employment, HSE 2011
- The macroeconomic impact from extending working lives, DWP 2011
- Second survey of employers’ policies, practices and preferences relating to age, DWP/BIS 2010
- Default Retirement Age: Employer Qualitative research, DWP 2010
- Pathways to retirement: The influence of employer policy and practice on retirement decisions, DWP 2010
- Working Better – The over 50s, the new work generation, EHRC 2010
- Releasing jobs for the young?, Institute for Fiscal Studies 2010
- Practical tips and guidance on training a mixed – age workforce, DWP 2006
3. Statistical information
The following publications have statistical information about age and employment.