Research and analysis
Local Housing Allowance: monitoring the impact of changes
These are the final reports evaluating the changes to the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) system of Housing Benefit (HB) from April 2011.
Ref: ISBN 978 1 910219 31 7, RR874 PDF, 1.11MB, 59 pages
Monitoring the impact of recent measures affecting Housing Benefit and Local Housing Allowances in the private rented sector: the response of landlords
Ref: ISBN 978 1 910219 26 3, RR870 PDF, 1.3MB, 155 pages
Ref: ISBN 978 1 910219 28 7, RR871 PDF, 1.03MB, 61 pages
The impact of changes to the Local Housing Allowance in the private rented sector: the response of tenants
Ref: ISBN 978 1 910219 29 4, RR872 PDF, 978KB, 160 pages
Ref: ISBN 978 1 910219 30 0, RR873 PDF, 3MB, 103 pages
These are the final reports of DWP’s independent review evaluating the impact of changes to the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) system of Housing Benefit (HB). The changes were introduced from April 2011.
We have published a summary report and 4 technical reports containing findings from a mixture of quantitative and qualitative research:
- a follow-up survey and interviews with landlords and focus groups with housing and benefits advisers
- an econometric analysis of administrative data on HB claims assessed under the LHA rules to estimate the impact of the changes on existing HB claimants assessed under those rules
- a follow-up survey and interviews with affected claimants
- an analysis of the impact of the LHA changes on HB claims at local authority district level between January 2010 and August 2013
Authors: Christina Beatty, Ian Cole, Ryan Powell, Peter Kemp, Mike Brewer, James Browne, Carl Emmerson, Andrew Hood, Robert Joyce
Published: 15 July 2014
Updated: 15 July 2015
- Updated table on page 46 of 'Econometric analysis of the impacts of Local Housing Allowance reforms on existing claimants'. This corrects estimates of the effects of LHA reforms on people likely to be affected by a changes in the scope of the 'shared accommodation rate'.
- First published.