Local Housing Allowance guidance and good practice for local authorities
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Part of:
- Local Housing allowance: information for local authorities
- 28 August 2013
- Last updated:
- 30 June 2014, see all updates
This page provides local authorities with information and guidance about all aspects of the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) scheme.
PDF, 405KB, 85 pages
PDF, 719KB, 27 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Local Housing Allowance guidance manual
The Local Housing Allowance guidance manual offers guidance on the administration of the Local Housing Allowance arrangements in Housing Benefit. It provides information and guidance about:
- all aspects of the Local Housing Allowance arrangements
- the legal requirements that local authorities must adhere to
Good practice guide
This Good Practice Guide has been produced to supplement the Local Housing Allowance Guidance Manual Chapters 4-6. These cover:
- paying benefit under the Local Housing Allowance arrangements
- the operation of the safeguards for people who are unable or unlikely to manage their rental payments
The Good Practice Guide covers:
- preventing customers getting into rent arrears
- developing and publicising safeguard policies
- engagement with stakeholders
- proactively identifying customers who may need safeguarding
- notifying and reviewing decisions
There are also some case studies in the annexes from a number of local authorities covering:
- working with stakeholders (Southend)
- operating the safeguards (Elmbridge)
- using the Local Housing Allowance to alleviate homelessness (Coventry)
- working with a credit union (Peterborough)
Published: 28 August 2013
Updated: 30 June 2014
- Replaced 2011 edition of the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) guidance manual with an updated edition.
- First published.