Statutory guidance for schools and colleges on safeguarding children and safer recruitment in education.
Statutory guidance is issued by law; you must follow it unless there’s a good reason not to.
This guidance is for:
- headteachers, teachers and education staff
- governing bodies and proprietors
It applies to:
- local-authority-maintained schools and colleges
- independent schools
- academies schools and free schools
- alternative provision academies and free schools
- pupil referral units
- further education colleges
- sixth-form colleges
It sets out what schools and colleges must do to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people under the age of 18.
This guidance replaces ‘Safeguarding children and safer recruitment in education’ (December 2006).
We have also published guidance on disqualification under the Childcare Act 2006.