Keeping a wild disabled bird: licence application

Form for a bird keeper to apply for a licence to keep a wild disabled bird without a ring.


REG05: Application for a licence to keep a Schedule 4 wild disabled bird

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Under Section 7 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, wild birds kept in captivity must be registered with the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA). This applies to all bird species listed in Schedule 4 of the Act.

The bird must be registered at the address where it is kept, and the bird must have a unique identification mark such as closed leg ring or microchip.

This form is for a bird keeper to apply for a licence to keep a wild disabled bird without a ring.

You must register keeping a wild disabled bird as soon as possible. If the bird is to be rehabilitated and released back into the wild within a short period of time, it does not need to be marked and will be registered with a UR licence (a licence to keep a bird unringed) for a set period.

If the bird is so disabled that a vet considers it is likely to remain in captivity permanently then it must be fitted with a microchip transponder and registered with that number.

See guidance on how to register a captive bird of prey.

Published 8 April 2009
Last updated 1 October 2014 + show all updates
  1. AHVLA documents have been re-assigned to the new Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA).
  2. First published.