This report presents findings from the evaluation of the JSAOL Trailblazers 4 to 8. The evaluation involved analysis of management information, and qualitative research with DWP staff, during the period the Trailblazers covered: August 2012 to April 2013.
The evaluation was conducted by DWP analysts, and aimed to evaluate the trailblazers against the following criteria:
- a statistically significant increase in the proportion of new claims made via JSA Online in the Trailblazer districts in comparison with the national figure
- the Trailblazer should not introduce significant operational burdens in contact centres, benefit centres or Jobcentres
- the Trailblazer should have minimal impact on claimants (this was only explored for Trailblazer 6)
Findings from the evaluation were used to inform changes to the national model, which were implemented in April 2013.
JSAOL phase 1 – Trailblazers 1 to 3
Read the JSAOL Trailblazers 1 to 3 findings.
The Jobseeker’s Allowance Online (JSAOL) service, enabling claimants to make their JSA claims online, has existed since August 2009. Before its introduction, the standard method for claiming JSA was by telephone. In May 2012, the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) set out to increase the proportion of JSA claims made online to 80% by September 2013.
As part of a programme of work to meet this, the department did a number of tests – called the Jobseeker’s Allowance Online (JSAOL) Trailblazers, in local areas to understand what drives take-up of JSA Online claims.
Phase and Trailblazer launch dates
- May 2012 – phase 1 – Trailblazers 1 to 3
- August 2012 – phase 2 – Trailblazers 4 to 6
- February 2013 – phase 3 – Trailblazer 7 and 8
These were pilots to test different approaches to help drive up the take-up of JSA Online. This report follows on from the report on Trailblazers 1, 2 and 3 and covers Trailblazers 4 to 8. The report focuses is on Trailblazers 6 and 8, as these designs were close to the model that was subsequently rolled out nationally, and for which the richest evidence was collected.
DWP publishes data on JSAOL take-up as one of its Business Plan Transparency measures.