This letter is a response to a Freedom of information request for details of the information technology (IT) systems within the Department for Transport (DfT). The following questions were asked with regard to IT systems and staff at DfT in April 2011:
- how many IT staff are employed?
- is the team is internally employed or outsourced and if outsourced to whom?
- is the infrastructure managed internally or outsourced and if outsourced to whom?
- are the desktop computers managed internally or outsourced and if outsourced to whom?
- is systems development managed internally or outsourced and if outsourced to whom?
- how many desktop computers are in use?
- how many laptop computers are in use?
- what type of server platforms is in use?
- how many physical servers are in use?
- how many virtual servers are in use?
Our response states that all functions of IT, with the exception of systems development which may at times be externally tendered, are maintained by the 49 employees of the internal IT services division. The letter explains that the number of computers and platforms are listed and the types of systems in use are Microsoft Windows (2003 and 2008) plus Red Hat Linux.
|Hardware used in DfT