This release provides information on training places for academic year 2013 to 2014 allocated to schools and training providers by the National College for Teaching and Leadership.
This statistical first release (SFR) provides information on the allocation of initial teacher training (ITT) new entrant places for academic year 2013 to 2014 to schools and training providers by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL).
As of 1 August 2013, there are around 38,900 ITT new entrant places available for academic year 2013 to 2014. This includes 20,000 postgraduate places with higher education institutions (HEIs), around 6,800 undergraduate places, around 2,500 places allocated to school-centred ITT providers (SCITTs) and about 9,500 School Direct places.
The allocation of ITT places sets the limits on training availability to ensure the appropriate supply of newly qualified teachers. Sufficient numbers are allocated to ensure enough teachers are trained, but avoiding excessive provision, which may lead to employment difficulties and over-burden public finances.
This publication shows the places allocated at the beginning of the academic year (1 August 2013), prior to ITT courses starting. The data are an update from the initial ITT allocations released in November 2012. As such, any changes are confined to:
- individual training cohort changes requested by schools and/or providers, and agreed by NCTL
- places allocated to new school-based providers
- new allocations related to new policy initiatives
This release describes the changes made since the initial allocations were made.
Allocated places indicate the overall number of places available for training. It does not show the trainees actually recruited to courses (this is reported by NCTL after the ITT recruitment census in late October).
The data covers all ITT routes, except the Teach First programme. These routes include:
- postgraduate and undergraduate courses delivered by higher education institutions (HEIs)
- postgraduate courses delivered by non-HEI providers (normally school-based partnerships)
- places allocated to the School Direct programme, where schools and school partnerships commission ITT places to work in partnership with an accredited ITT provider to deliver training
Queries should be directed to Michael Bowen
020 7227 5376