Apply to get an annuity without Income Tax taken off

You can ask for a Purchased Life Annuity to be paid without tax being taken off by using form R89.


Apply to get an annuity without tax taken off


If you get a Purchased Life Annuity, you can use form R89(2009) to ask HM Revenue and Customs for it to be paid without tax being taken off.

You must be resident in the UK and unlikely to have to pay Income Tax in the current tax year.

Fill in the form and send it to the company that pays your annuity.

Before you start

If you’re using an older browser, for example, Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so gather all your information together before you start to fill it in.

Updates to this page

Published 1 October 2014
Last updated 31 March 2016 + show all updates
  1. Welsh translation added.

  2. Updated the information about where to send the completed form.

  3. First published.

Sign up for emails or print this page