Use the online form if you're re-importing an unaccompanied private motor vehicle from outside the EU.
Declare your vehicle to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you’re re-importing a private vehicle from outside the EU. You can also use it to claim any relief from duty and VAT.
Give your completed declaration to HMRC or the UK Border Agency at the port of importation.
You can either:
- use the online form service (sign in to, or set up a Government Gateway account) and print off the declaration
- fill in the form on-screen and print it off
If you use the online form, you’ll get a reference number that you can use to track the progress of your form.
- details of any alteration, renovation, repairs or additions made while the vehicle was outside the EU, including where these were carried out and the value of them
- the place of importation
- the ship name or aircraft flight number
- the date of importation
- the place of examination
- the port or place of foreign loading
- the bill of lading number
- details of the vehicle including:
- Vehicle Identification Number (chassis number)
- current registration number
- previous UK registration number, if applicable
- year or manufacture
- details of any attachments
- details of any optional extras
Before you start using the postal form
If you’re using an older browser, eg Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.
You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so gather all your information together before you start to fill it in.
Related forms and guidance
Notice 3: bringing your belongings, pets and private motor vehicles to UK from outside the EU
Guidance on importing your personal belongings, pets and private motor vehicles into the UK from outside the EU.
Importation of a private motor vehicle into the UK on transfer of residence from outside the EC (C104A)
Use form C104A to declare your private vehicle to HMRC for importation, if you’ve moved to the UK from outside the EC.
Bringing personal belongings to UK from outside the EC (C3)
Use form C3 to declare personal belongings to HMRC and claim any duty and tax relief that may apply when returning or transferring residence to the EC.
Bringing your pet to the UK from outside the EC (C5)
Use form C5 to declare your pet to HMRC when you return to or transfer your normal home to the EC.