Guidance to help providers meet the requirements for ILR data returns.
These documents support further education providers (publicly funded colleges, training organisations, local authorities and employers) to understand the details of the data about learners and their learning that must be collected.
How to submit an ILR data return
If you receive funding directly from the ESFA you need to submit individualised learner records (ILRs). ESFA uses this to calculate the funding earned by providers.
To submit your individualised learner records (ILRs), you need to:
- upload compressed files (archives or .zip files), making sure your data within these files is in a XML format and that the zip and XML files have the same file name and are not encrypted or password protected
- make sure the data submitted has an approved employer commitment in the apprenticeship service
- submit your ILR return before the deadline, allowing time to resolve any validation errors and warnings
- include all learner, learning delivery and learner destination and progression records, for all learners across all funding models for the year to date
- make one submission per returns window, unless the ILR data or data in the apprenticeship service has changed
- make sure all your documents relating to the enrolment of the learner and the record of learning activity are accurate and conform to the eligibility rules of the appropriate type of learning
- check that your validation reports and apprenticeship data match and correct the data causing errors