We received a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA):
‘1. Please advise what the “European Standard” refers to, and if it is an European Union (EU) ”Directive” then the relevant reference number, together with the wording of the directive in relation to a proposed Identity (ID) card?
2. Can you confirm what steps have been taken to engage in public consultation on this aspect of the format of the proposed card, and the names of any organisations contacted or involved?
3. You stated: ‘The exact format of ID cards will be set out in Regulations to be approved by Parliament’. What are these ‘Regulations’, and how do they bear on the use of the EU symbol? If such regulations have yet to be drawn up, please confirm if they will be available for public examination and scrutiny prior to any Parliamentary debate
4. What government department will be responsible for the recording and retention of the national data base in relation to ID cards?
5. Will any database information on ID cards be available to any body, or organisation external to the United Kingdom - i.e. is there an EU related department or body involved? If so please name the EU organisation concerned and the name of the EU Commissioner with overall responsibility
6. Will the proposed ID card proposals and Regulations conform to Section 11 of the Human Rights Act?’
We released the following information on: