In November 2014 Sir Alex Allan reported to the Prime Minister on the government’s annual release of papers. The Cabinet Secretary also commissioned him to conduct a review into the government’s strategy for managing digital records and archives.
The review aimed to identify how to ensure the long term integrity of government records and to review:
- policies for capturing and managing digital information
- policies for selecting, retaining and disposing of digital records and how sensitivity checks are handled
- whether these policies are complied with
- whether government has the right tools, including technology, and resources
- whether government has the right skills and capacity
It covered records from UK government departments but not from the Scottish, Welsh or Northern Ireland governments or the intelligence agencies.