Committee on Radioactive Waste Management's (CoRWM's) views on accelerating the implementation of geological disposal.
The Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) asked for CoRWM’s advice on the 2011 review of options for accelerating the geological disposal programme carried out by the Radioactive Waste Management Directorate of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority.
This paper gives CoRWM’s views on:
- the most important issues involved in deciding whether and how to accelerate the geological disposal programme
- the methodology used by RWMD in its assessment of acceleration options
- the disposal concepts considered by RWMD
- RWMD’s future work on acceleration
- future government decision making on acceleration