Funding competition: Shanghai-UK industrial challenge programme
- Innovate UK
- Part of:
- Innovate UK: Infrastructure systems, Energy demand reduction in industry, business and the public sector, and Climate change international action
- 12 April 2017
- Last updated:
- 14 June 2017, see all updates
UK businesses can apply for a share of £5 million for projects with partners from Shanghai municipality, People’s Republic of China.
The competition opened on 12 April 2017, and is now closed for registrations.
Innovate UK and the Science and Technology Commission Department of Shanghai Municipality, will both invest in collaborative research and development (R&D) projects. Up to £5 million is available for UK partners from Innovate UK. The Science and Technology Commission Department of Shanghai Municipality will allocate funding for R&D performing Shanghai-registered companies.
This programme is delivered according to the memorandum of understanding signed between Innovate UK and the Science and Technology Commission Department of Shanghai Municipality in 2016.
The aim of this competition is to stimulate economic growth in China and the UK through projects in one of the following 2 areas:
- future cities: addressing the challenges brought on by rapid urbanisation, demographic and social change, resource scarcity and climate change
- transformational or disruptive innovation leading to novel, new products, processes or services drawn from any technology, engineering or industrial area. There is particular interest in the areas of healthcare and life sciences, advanced manufacturing and energy/green technology. Projects should lead to a significant return on investment and have a clear and anticipated impact on business growth
We expect to fund around 10 projects across the 2 areas. Projects should last up to 36 months.
The projects must be business-led on both sides and involve:
- as a minimum, a collaboration between one business from the UK and one R&D-performing Shanghai-registered company operating in Shanghai
- as an option, additional businesses, universities and research centres from both the UK and Shanghai as needed to deliver the project
You must register before midday (BST) on 21 June 2017.
You must apply before midday (BST) on 28 June 2017.
Watch the webinar briefing event.
Not right for your innovation project? View other Innovate UK funding competitions.
Published: 12 April 2017
Updated: 14 June 2017
- Removed the text 'Shanghai municipality finance summary table' from the guidance for UK applicants under section 6: the application form. This was included in error and is not part of the application process for UK applicants.
- Added link to watch the recorded webinar briefing.
- Updated web link for the Science and Technology Commission Department of Shanghai Municipality. Added registration link to 'getting ready for China' event.
- First published.