Free school applications: assessing the need for more schools
- Department for Education
- Part of:
- Free school applications: assessing the need for school places and Academies and free schools
- 16 September 2016
- Last updated:
- 12 April 2017, see all updates
- Applies to:
How we assess the need for a new mainstream school in a local area when we receive applications to open new free schools.
Ref: DFE-00225-2016 PDF, 241KB, 9 pages
These documents explain the criteria we use when we assess the need for a new mainstream free school in a local area for each application phase (wave).
Mainstream free schools can be:
- primary schools
- secondary schools
- all-through schools
- 16 to 19 academies
- alternative providers (places that provide education for children who can’t go to a mainstream school)
- special free schools (for children with special educational needs or disabilities)
Published: 16 September 2016
Updated: 12 April 2017
- Added 'Mainstream free school applications: assessment of need and deprivation, wave 12 update'.
- First published.