Financial sanctions, North Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea)
- HM Treasury and Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation
- Part of:
- Financial sanctions: Regime-specific lists and releases
- First published:
- 23 April 2013
- Last updated:
- 1 March 2017, see all updates
North Korea (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea), is currently subject to financial sanctions. This document contains the current list of designated persons.
PDF, 59.4KB, 11 pages
PDF, 166KB, 4 pages
PDF, 95.6KB, 7 pages
In 2006 the United Nations imposed restrictions on a range of goods from entering or leaving the North Korea and imposed a travel ban and an asset freeze against those persons designated as persons who engage in or provide support for, including through other illicit means, North Korea’s nuclear-related, other weapons of mass destruction-related and ballistic missile-related programmes.
On 2 March 2016 the UN Security Council adopted Resolution 2270 (2016) imposing new sanctions against North Korea
Current EU regulations
View the consolidated version of Council Regulation 329/2007 concerning restrictive measures against North Korea.
While the link above is described as the latest consolidated version of the relevant EU Regulation on the EUR-Lex website, readers are to be aware that amendments to the Regulation are not always immediately included in that consolidated version. Accordingly HM Treasury does not accept any liability for possible omissions of relevant data or mistakes, and for any use made of the consolidated version. The most recent amendments to the implementing Regulation can be found by searching for them individually at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/homepage.html
Current UK regulations
Financial Sanctions Guidance
Read the Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation’s guide to financial sanctions.
Licences authorise certain activities or types of transaction that would otherwise be prohibited by asset freezing legislation. Download a licence application.
Published: 23 April 2013
Updated: 1 March 2017
- Updated with Latest HM Treasury notice, 01/03/2017, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (Reg 2017/330)
- Updated with: HM Treasury notice, 18/01/2017, North Korea (Reg 2017/80)
- Updated with: HM Treasury notice, 09/12/2016, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (Reg 2016/2215)
- Page information presentation updated (how we link to EU regulations) - no new notice
- Updated with link to new Statutory Instrument that implements notice 2016/780 published on 09.06.2016
- Updated due to Notice
- Updated with: OFSI notice, 01/06/2016
- Updated with: Regulation No 2016/780 and link to regulations (S.I. 2016/578)
- Updated with OFSI guidance on Article 5a of Council Regulation (EC) 329/2007
- Updated with 03.05.2016 Council Regulation (EU) No 2016/682 Notice
- Updated list due to Notice - 28.04.2016 Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 2016/659
- Updated list due to Notice 2016/569
- Updated with latest notice and links to regulatory guidance
- New notice (Reg 2015/1062)
- Updated with latest notice Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (Reg 1059/2014)
- added Latest HM Treasury Notice, 17/04/2014 Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (Reg 386/2014)
- removed 27.04.2011 The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (Asset-Freezing) Regulations 2011 (SI 2011/1094)
- added 16.08.2013 The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (European Union Financial Sanctions) Regulations 2013 (S.I. 2013/1877)
- added Latest HM Treasury Notice, 24.07.2013 Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (Reg 696/2013)
- First published.