Establishing a business presence in the USA
Guidance on starting your UK business presence in the USA
PDF, 588KB, 41 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This guide covers:
- exporting and selling: Contracts with American distributors and sales agents
- creating a USA subsidiary to sell or manufacture
- buying an existing USA company or part ownership thereof
- joint ventures
- an overview of USA taxation
- dealing with employees: Key features of USA law and practice
- product liability
- intellectual property in the USA
- licensing and technology transfer to and within the USA
- internet business: an overview of USA cyberlaw
- USA business-related Visas for UK Nationals
- litigation and arbitration
- errors frequently made by companies new to the USA market
- other sources of information
This was published originally by UK Trade and Investment (UKTI) which has since moved to the Department for International Trade (DIT).